how to host the best-ever bachelorette weekend (or girls' weekend!) in Charleston, South Carolina
Planning a weekend in Charleston, South Carolina? I'm a local Charleston resident who specializes in throwing great parties -- read on for a few of my tips to have your best Charleston weekend ever!
1. Rent a beach house. Not everyone realizes that Charleston is super close to not one but multiple islands that have beach houses and condos for rent. What better way to celebrate your girls than at your own beach house? I recommend Sullivan’s Island, Isle of Palms, or Folly Beach for their beaches as well as their easy accessibility to the downtown nightlife.
A few tips on the different beaches: Folly Beach is great if you want to go out near the beach and not venture too far for nightlife & restaurants -- Folly actually has its own little beach town with some great party spots, local brunch favorites, & a little (tiny) bit of shopping. The houses here aren't the huge, beautifully decorated beach-side homes that you might imagine, but Folly has a lot of charm and feels more like a local spot. It's a little further to get downtown, though -- so weigh what you want to do and if you're going to want to spend more time beach-side or downtown on the Peninsula! Isle of Palms & Sullivan's Island are right next to each other on the east side of Charleston, and they're equally beautiful -- both will offer the big, beach-y houses you might be imagining for your bachelorette. Sullivan's & IOP are both an easier drive to downtown Charleston, so if you want an equal mix of beach time and downtown party time, either of these islands will be perfect for you. Some of my favorite Charleston restaurants are on Sullivan's Island, too -- Obstinate Daughter would be great for a nice dinner out with your ladies, and Poe's Tavern has amazing burgers for a quick lunch after a day on the beach.
Don't worry, you can't go wrong with any of the islands around Charleston -- no matter what island you choose, you'll have a great time. I love renting bikes to explore the beaches, and there are a few yoga and barre studios around town that will come to you and teach a morning class on the beach to your group. If you don't care at all about spending time on the Peninsula (downtown), Kiawah Island is beautiful & much more secluded -- if you're interested in biking, golfing, & beaching, this is the spot for you.
PS: You can also rent a house downtown on the Peninsula if you're not really here for the beaches. Airbnb is limited, but there are a bunch of companies that rent houses that are perfect for parties!
Still not sure where the best spot to stay is? I can help with that! Tell us what you're up to & we'll give you some recommendations -- no commitment necessary! Click here to see what we can do for your weekend in Charleston!
2. Accessorize. Once you’ve got that beach house, deck it out! Decorate with a banner, confetti, and flowers, and make sure your mimosa bar is well stocked so you and your girls can pop champagne all night long. Don’t forget party favors – makeup pouches, personalized water bottles, and mimosa-scented candles will help your girls remember their Charleston weekend.
Pinterest will be your bestie during this part of the planning -- Kay & Co even has a bachelorette board with all kinds of decor inspiration + ideas, a lot of which can be DIY'ed! I love easy banners & balloons that you won't mind throwing away at the end of the trip, on-theme sugar cookies (diamond rings, sunglasses, or pineapples are easy ones -- or you can just go with the bride's favorite colors!), and pretty drinks that are easy to make. Any decorations will do -- just make sure your bride or birthday girl feels special!
Yes, of course -- we can handle decorations, too! Our sister company, CHS Bubbly Bar, specializes in bubbly bars of all shapes & sizes -- we can include decorations, photo booth props, locally-made sweet treats, champagne or mimosas, & tons of other a la carte options, all suited to your tastes. This makes it so easy on you if you're coming from out of town -- don't waste your precious luggage space on decorations & favors when we can handle it for you!
3. Eat like a queen. Charleston has some of the best restaurants and nightlife in the world – take advantage of that and don’t just go where everyone else is going. Do some research (or check out my Charleston Pinterest board!) to discover restaurants that aren’t just tourist traps. Some of my favorites include Juliet, Poogan's Porch, & Warehouse – call ahead to tell them you’ve got a big group. Plus, fun fact: Charleston restaurants are pretty good about hooking it up for whatever you’re celebrating – another reason to make a reservation.
4. Brunch. Self-explanatory & goes with number three. Charleston has an incredible brunch scene - make sure you have time in your itinerary for a long brunch followed by a true Sunday Funday, hopping from brunch to bar to the beach. Five Loaves Cafe is a particular favorite of mine; you can't go wrong with ten dollar mimosa carafes and delicious Southern classics, right? So perfect after a night of drinking! A few of my other favorites? Poogan's Porch, Shelter, & 39 Rue de Jean!
5. Book a unique activity. Add an extra element to your weekend by planning an activity that your girls will love. Whether it’s paddleboarding on Shem Creek, making flower crowns with a local florist, or pouring your own candles at a shop downtown, Charleston has lots of fun options that will give you a break from being a tourist and create a memory at the same time. And not to shamelessly self-promote, but we can give you lots more ideas for your weekend -- book a call with us to talk details!
6. Make the most of being in Charleston! Charleston is amazing and has so much to offer – the nightlife is a huge draw, obviously, but our history, beaches, and hospitality are what make our city so special. Take advantage of everything we have to offer and explore our beautiful area! Pinterest has a lot of ideas, or I’d be happy to give you recommendations. Some of the Kay & Co favorites include Sunset Cocktail Cruises around the harbor, flower parties in Hampton Park, & day trips to Firefly Distillery -- just a few examples of the limitless amount of things you could do during your time in Charleston.
Enjoy your weekend, you lovely ladies!
Need more help with the details of your Charleston bachelorette weekend? Kay & Co plans all-inclusive bachelorette weekends -- click here to learn more about how we'll help you have your best weekend ever!